M4 motorway upgrade traffic bulletin for week commencing 7 February 2022
Work to improve journeys by upgrading the M4 motorway between junction 3 at Hayes and junction 12 at Theale continues this week. 24-hour narrow lanes and a 50mph speed restriction are in place from junction 3 to junction 8/9. Between junctions 8/9 and junction 12, 4 full width lanes are open at national speed limit subject to variable speed limits, but some final work is continuing. Carriageway and slip road closures are planned as follows, all fully closed overnight (traffic management will usually be rolled out from 9pm and taken off by 6am).
Weekend closure 11-14 February 2022: Junctions 4b to 5
- The M4 and associated slip roads will be closed in both directions between junctions 4b (M25) and 5 (Langley). The closure will start after 8pm Friday 11 February and the motorway will reopen by 6am on Monday 14 February 2022. Clearly signed diversions will be in place using the strategic and local highway network.
Overnight carriageway closures scheduled this week:
- The M4 westbound will be closed overnight between junctions 8/9 (Maidenhead) and 10 (Wokingham) on Monday 7 February 2022. Clearly signed diversions will be in place utilising the A329M, A3290, A4 and A404M.
- The M4 westbound will be closed overnight between junctions 10 (Wokingham) and 11 (Reading) on Tuesday 8 February 2022. Clearly signed diversions will be in place utilising the A329M, A3290 and B3270.
- The M4 eastbound will be closed overnight between junctions 11 (Reading) and 10 (Wokingham) on Thursday 10 February 2022. Clearly signed diversions will be in place utilising the B3270, A3290 and A329M.
- The M4 in both directions will be closed overnight between junctions 3 (Hayes) and 4b (M25) on Wednesday 9 and Thursday 10 February 2022. Clearly signed diversions will be in place utilising the A312, A40 and M25.
Additional slip road closures planned for this week are as follows:
- M4 junction 10: the M4 junction 10 eastbound exit slip will be closed overnight on Friday 11 February 2022.
- M4 junction 12: the M4 junction 12 eastbound exit slip will be closed overnight on Wednesday 9 February 2022.
In the event of poor weather conditions or other issues out of our control, planned work may be postponed at short notice. Contingency bookings are also in place, but these are only used if previously planned work is delayed and there is no clash with other closures. If work completes on an earlier day the motorway may not close, or if work completes ahead of schedule the motorway may reopen early. Signage will be in place on the network to notify of closures and diversions.